THE BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT
2017 OFFICIAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN
VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW
The following sets forth the rules and regulations (the “Rules”) that will apply to The Basketball Tournament (the “Tournament”) for 2017. TBT Enterprises, LLC is the sponsor and the producer of the Tournament (the “Producer”). The Producer is a sports entertainment business located at 1660 Soldiers Field Road, Boston, MA 02135 (email: email@example.com; phone: 617-789-5900.) The Tournament is currently intended, but is not guaranteed, to be produced for livestream on the internet and telecast on television/cable networks. Note: The Producer shall have the power and authority to determine all matters with respect to the Tournament and the Rules, including without limitation to make a final determination with respect to the applicability of or compliance with any Rule and the right to suspend or waive the requirements of any Rule, all and in each case, as it may determine, from time to time, in the exercise of its sole discretion. All references herein to any decision, election, determination, exercise of rights or other action by Producer means, in each instance, the exercise of such right or taking of such action in Producer’s sole, exclusive and non-reviewable exercise of its discretion.
- 1. Up to eighty (80) teams (each, a “Team”) shall have the opportunity to participate in the Tournament, which will initiate in a pre-qualification tournament (hereinafter “TBT Jamboree” or “the Jamboree”). The Tournament will then continue in four (4) regions with up to sixteen (16) Teams in each region, however, the number of Teams allocated to each region is in Producer’s sole discretion. Producer may elect to include fewer or more than eighty (80) Teams in the Tournament. The Team that wins the Tournament will receive a cash prize of not less than $1,800,000 (the “Team Prize”). The Team Prize shall be allocated among such Team’s Participants (as defined below) as such Team determines, subject to certain restrictions contained herein. Certain Fans (as defined below) of the winning Team will be eligible collectively to receive up to $200,000 in total cash prizes, to be allocated pursuant to the Official Fan Contest Rules & Regulations available on the Website (the “Fan Contest Rules”).
- 1. Each Team shall be initially composed of “Participants.” A “Participant” is defined as either (i) an individual who applies on the Website and has been accepted by Producer to participate in the Tournament, or (ii) a person designated in a roster submitted by a Charity (as defined below). A Participant may be a “Player,” a General Manager (“GM”), a “Coach” or a “Booster.”
- a. Player – A Player is someone who is on a Team’s roster of individuals available to play in the basketball games in the Tournament.
- b. GM – There must be one GM per Team. The GM is the individual who registers a Team on the Website and who oversees all aspects of the Team, including, without limitation, recruiting Players and soliciting Fan votes.
- c. Coach – A Team may have one or more Coaches, or may elect not to have a Coach.
- d. Booster – A Team may have one or more Boosters, or may elect not to have a Booster. A Booster is someone a Team believes will assist the Team in gaining entry to the Tournament, soliciting Fan votes or will help the Team in some other way off-the-court.
- 2. A GM may also be a Player; however, he or she will count towards one of the permissible roster spots designated for Players.
- a. A GM, Coach, or Booster WILL NOT BE PERMITTED TO SWITCH ROLES TO A PLAYER AFTER THE ROSTER DEADLINE at 12:00 pm (NOON) (ET) on June 1, 2017, unless under the circumstances described in Rule III, 2, below.
- 3. A Coach or a Booster may be added to a Team’s roster at any point before or during the Tournament as long as that Coach or Booster registers on the Website and submits to any and all other forms of registration.
- 4. If a Team has a Participant who does not fit one of the above roles, but whom the Team wants on its roster, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request Producer’s authorization.
- 5. Producer may disqualify any person from being a Participant in the Tournament if Producer believes that such person’s participation is or may become harmful to or interfere with the integrity of the competition, competition, production and/or telecast or livestream of the Tournament.
- 6. PRIOR TO COMMENCEMENT OF PLAY EACH PARTICIPANT MUST REVIEW AND ACCEPT IN WRITING PRODUCER’S PARTICIPATION AGREEMENT (THE “PARTICIPATION AGREEMENT”), WHICH IS ALSO A REQUIREMENT FOR COMPLETION OF THE PARTICIPANT’S PROFILE ON THE WEBSITE.
- 7. A “Fan” is defined as an individual who registers as a Fan on the Producer’s website (www.TheTournament.com) (the “Website”) and who casts a vote for his or her favored Team or Teams by 8:00 am (ET) on July 8, 2017. Fans will receive a point for each vote they cast, up to the limit of four (4), pursuant to the Fan Contest Rules. Fans will be able to “recruit” other Fans to vote on the Website and Fans will receive points for each vote a Fan they recruit casts on the website, up to the limit of four (4) as described in the Fan Contest Official Rules. Fans will be sorted on the Website by which Team or Teams the Fan has voted for and will then be ranked on the Website by Team and by order of how many points each Fan has accumulated. Fans become linked to the Team or Teams for which they have voted once they have voted. All votes MUST BE CAST BEFORE 8:00 am (ET) on July 8, 2017. The top ranked Fans will be eligible to receive a prize should the Fan’s Team win the Tournament, as described in detail and exclusively in the Fan Contest Rules.
III. TEAM ROSTERS
- 1. To be eligible to compete in the Tournament, a Team’s roster shall consist of at least seven (7) and not more than fifteen (15) Players by 12 pm (NOON) ET on June 1, 2017.
- a. A Team may add, but not subtract, Players after June 1, 2017 and up to the day of the Team’s first game, but only after Producer has received a $1,000 Player Registration Fee, as described immediately below in III, 2.
- 2. Any Team seeking to add Player beyond the first nine (9) Players or add any Player after June 1, 2017 shall only be permitted to add the Player to the Team’s roster after a $1,000 Player Registration Fee has been received by the Producer.
- a. The $1,000 Player Registration Fee must be paid to Producer prior to the registration of Players ten (10) through fifteen (15). If a Team seeks to add a Player after playing a game in the Tournament, the Player Registration Fee shall increase by $1,000 per round and similarly must be received prior to the Player’s registration.
- i. Example A: Team A has nine (9) Players and wants to add two (2) Players before it plays a game in the Tournament. The Player Registration Fee is $1,000 per Player. Thus, Player Registration Fees totaling $2,000 ($1,000 per Player) must be received by Producer prior to the additional Players being permitted to play for Team A.
- ii. Example B: Team B has 9 Players and wants to add a Player for its first round game. The Player Registration Fee is $1,000. Team B then wins its first round game and wants to add an 11th Player for its second round game. The Player Registration Fee is $2,000. Team B then wins its second round game and wants to add a 12th Player for its third round game. The Player Registration Fee is $3,000. Team B wins its third round game and wants to add a 13th Player for its fourth round game. The Player Registration Fee is $4,000. Team B wins its fourth round game and wants to add a 14th Player for its fifth round game. The Player Registration Fee is $5,000. Team B wins its fifth round game and wants to add a 15th Player for the Championship Game. The Player Registration Fee is $6,000.
- iii. Example C: Team C has seven (7) Players on June 1, 2017. Team C wishes to add two (2) additional Players to its roster on June 4, to bring its total number of Players to nine (9). After sending in Player Registration Fees totaling $2,000 ($1,000 per Player), Team C will be permitted to add the additional two (2) Players to its roster.
- 1. Donating to Charity. A Team may designate a Charity (as defined below) to which it will donate a percentage of its winnings, provided that such organization is tax exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended (such non-profit organization, a “Charity”). In the scenario described in this paragraph, the Producer will not issue payment of any winnings directly to the Charity the Team has designated. The Team and its Participants will be solely responsible for any and all contributions, payments, or donations made to the designated Charity. PARTICIPANTS SHOULD CONSULT THEIR OWN TAX ADVISORS TO BETTER UNDERSTAND THE IMPLICATIONS OF THIS CHARITABLE CONTRIBUTION. THE PRODUCER IS NOT PROVIDING AND WILL NOT PROVIDE ANY TAX ADVICE TO TEAMS, PARTICIPANTS, OR THEIR ADVISORS.
- 2. Charity-Sponsored Team. A Charity may apply to participate in the Tournament as a Team. In order to enter the Tournament, an individual representing the Charity would still have to be the GM, and would register the Team on the Website pursuant to these Rules. Any individuals who desire to play for the Charity Team will still have to register themselves pursuant to these Rules, and the GM will have to invite them to join the Team, as described herein. Notwithstanding any provision of these Rules, (i) a Charity Team is responsible for all obligations and requirements otherwise imposed on its Participants in these Rules, (ii) all Participants designated by a Charity shall participate solely as designees of the Charity Team and at its direction, and (iii) any rights or benefits, including any prize, award or other benefit, otherwise granted to Participants in these Rules shall instead belong solely to the Charity applicant. Should a Charity Team enter and win the Tournament, the Producer will make payment exclusively to the benefit of the Charity and will not split or provide any separate payment to any other Participant playing on behalf of the Charity.
- a. Fans of a Charity Team will still be eligible to receive prizes as described in the Fan Contest Rules.
V. PARTICIPANT DISCLOSURES
Any Participant who has been arrested, charged with or convicted of a violent felony, in each case that has resulted in any term of imprisonment or any form of incarceration within the last seven (7) years (i.e., since April 2010), or who is identified on the Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons Lists (the “SDN List”) issued by the U.S. Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (including if such identification first occurs during the Tournament) may, in Producer’s sole discretion, not be eligible to participate (or continue to participate) in the Tournament and, if so barred from participation, shall not be eligible to win any portion of any prize. Producer may also exclude from participation in the Tournament any individual who has been convicted of, or found liable for, any form of sexual offense, irrespective of whether a conviction led to imprisonment or any form of incarceration or has any other criminal history. Failure to disclose a history of criminal convictions, arrests or charges or identification on the SDN List may result in a Participant’s immediate disqualification from the Tournament and may also result in the disqualification of the Participant’s entire Team. A Participant with any history of such criminal convictions, arrests or charges specified above, or any knowledge that he or she is identified on the SDN List must notify Producer of such history or identification by sending an email to email@example.com not later than 12:00 pm (NOON) (ET) on June 1, 2017. Such emails must include date of offense, location of offense, arrest and/or conviction, and disposition of the case, as applicable. If Participant has not provided Producer with any such information by such date/time, Producer shall assume that such Participant has represented that he or she has no criminal history and is not identified on the SDN List. In addition to the foregoing disclosure, Producer shall have the right, in its sole discretion, to perform a formal background check in connection with any matters concerning Participant’s background, as well as check Participant against the SDN List, and Producer shall have the right to use such results to assess whether Participant may participate or continue to participate in the Tournament. Participant may be asked to provide all applicable information required of him/her in order for Producer to complete such formal background check and/or check of the SDN List, and Participant’s failure to do so may be grounds for disqualification from the Tournament.
VI. APPLICATION TO AND QUALIFICATION FOR THE TOURNAMENT
- 1. In order to start the application process, an individual who wishes to be a Player on a Team must complete all basic information requested by Producer (collectively, a “Profile”), including, without limitation, biographical data, playing history (with position), height, weight and all other information about such individual, including digital photographs and a short digital video, to be submitted as instructed and described in the application section on the Website.
- a. If an admitted Team adds a Player(s) to its roster after June 1, 2017, that Player or Players must complete all other forms of registration on the Website, as described herein and the Team must submit a Player Registration Fee, as described above.
- b. Participants must show their current valid and unexpired picture identification (current passport, driver’s license or state or military identification card) acceptable to the Producer at the time of on-site registration.
- c. Participants must be legally eligible to enter the United States and may be required by Producer to submit documentation which proves the foregoing.
- d. PARTICIPANTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR OBTAINING ANY AND ALL LICENSES AND/OR REGISTRATIONS AND FOR PAYMENT OF ANY AND ALL TAXES AND OTHER FEES THAT MAY BE ASSOCIATED WITH PARTICIPATION IN AND THE WINNING OF THE TOURNAMENT.
- e. Producer is not obligated to assist, advise, or perform any duties or provide any help in any form for any Participant seeking to gain legal entry to the United States.
- 2. The application process will be open during the period from 12:00 pm (NOON) (ET) on April 1, 2017 until 12:00 pm (NOON) (ET) on June 1, 2017. Each applicant must provide all information requested of him or her on the Website. Producer shall own all right, title and interest in and to all of the materials that an applicant submits, enters or otherwise chooses to include on the Website whether in the form of pictures, writings or otherwise. Any person who fails to register on the Website and to satisfactorily complete his or her application on the Website (as determined by the Producer) before 12:00 pm (NOON) (ET) on June 1, 2017 or otherwise fails to provide all information requested of him or her by the Producer from time-to time, may, in the Producer’s sole discretion, not be entitled to participate in the Tournament. The Producer retains the right to accelerate the admission process for any Team by admitting for entry into the Tournament any Team and its Participants at a date and time prior to or following June 1, 2017.
- 3. The GM is solely responsible for assembling and obtaining Players for a Team roster from those individuals who apply on the Website and shall do so using the online process provided on the Website. To be eligible to play in the Tournament, a Team will be required to designate its hometown and have an eligible roster (i.e., at least 7 Players, but no more than 15 Players) prior to 12:00 pm (NOON) (ET) on June 1, 2017, pursuant to the Rules described above. The GM may offer any individual applicant who is registered as a Player on the Website a spot on his/her Team. Such individual must accept the invitation before he or she will be a Player on such Team. If an individual is not registered on the Website, a GM may email an invitation to that individual(s), but such individual(s) must then register on the Website as provided in herein. An individual may only be a Participant of one Team. PLAYERS ON TEAMS THAT DO NOT GAIN ADMISSION TO THE TOURNAMENT WILL BE PERMITTED TO JOIN A TEAM THAT HAS GAINED ADMISSION AS ONE OF THE PLAYERS WHO MAY BE ADDED TO A TEAM’S ROSTER, AS DESCRIBED ABOVE. A GM may withdraw his or her offer to an individual selected to join a Team at any time prior to 12:00 pm (NOON) (ET) on June 1, 2017 and a Player may withdraw his or her acceptance to join a Team at any time prior to 12:00 pm (NOON) (ET) on June 1, 2017.
- a. Except in Producer’s sole discretion, no Participant will be permitted to play, coach, or otherwise participate in the Tournament on behalf of a Team unless he or she has completed all registration requirements on the Website as specified herein.
- b. A GM may add to his/her Team’s roster, as provided herein; however, a GM may not reduce his/her roster after 12:00 pm (NOON) (ET) on June 1, 2017 (i.e., additions may be made up to a limit of fifteen (15) Players, but Players may not be “cut” or eliminated, subject to the conduct and appearance requirements as outlined herein and in the Participation Agreement).
- c. Producer reserves the right to alter, amend, and change a Team's name as provided by the GM, at any time. A GM may not name his or her team in any way that Producer finds offensive, in its sole discretion, or that in any way does or could be perceived to violate the intellectual property rights of any individual, entity, organization, or business, including but not limited to any university, high school, or professional sports organization.
- 4. Following a GM’s satisfactory completion of his or her Team’s application and registration through the Website process (as determined by Producer), the Team must also obtain a minimum of one hundred (100) Fans’ votes by 12:00 pm (NOON) (ET) on June 1, 2017, using the procedure for obtaining Fans’ votes provided on the Website.
- 5. Team Eligibility. Throughout the application process and immediately following 12:00 pm (NOON) (ET) on June 1, 2017, Producer will review each Team’s page on the Website and first determine which Teams are eligible to participate in the Tournament.
- 6. Team Selection. After determining which Teams are eligible to participate in the Tournament, whether a Team makes the final cut to be in the Tournament is in Producer’s sole discretion. As a guide to applicants, in making such determinations, Producer will consider, among other factors, the following: (i) the content and completeness of the applications of each of the Team’s Participants; (ii) the Team’s satisfactory completion of the registration process on the Website and accumulation of at least one hundred (100) Fans’ votes by 12:00 pm (NOON) (ET) on June 1, 2017; (iii) the level of basketball talent a Team possesses including, without limitation, the highest level of play for each Player on a Team (i.e., high school, collegiate, professional, etc.); and (iv) other criteria that Producer deems important to the integrity, competition, production and/or telecast of the Tournament.
- 7. Team Invitation. Producer will make final selections and announce those Teams who are invited to participate in the Tournament on the Website by no later than June 10, 2017. Subject to the other terms and conditions set forth herein, up to sixty-four (64) teams will be selected to play in the Tournament and an additional sixteen (16) will be selected to compete in the Tournament’s TBT Jamboree, as described below.
- a. In an effort to ensure the integrity and legitimacy of the application process, the Producer retains the sole and exclusive authority to exercise its discretion in its review of Fan accounts and the votes associated with those accounts. In its discretion, Producer may eliminate or delete Fan accounts that it deems to be fraudulent or created in an effort to deceive or manipulate the voting and/or application process. In its discretion, Producer may disqualify any individual Fan from receiving a prize if Producer deems that the individual has attempted to in any way manipulate, cheat, or otherwise falsify any element of the Fan voting process.
- b. Fan and Participant accounts MUST BE CREATED WITH TRUE AND ACCURATE FIRST NAMES AND LAST NAMES AND ALL OTHER BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION PROVIDED MUST BE ACCURATE AND VERIFIABLE. PRODUCER RESERVES THE RIGHT IN ITS DISCRETION TO ELIMINATE OR DELETE ANY ACCOUNT THAT IT IS UNABLE TO VERIFY AND CONFIRM AS LEGITIMATE.
- c. A PARTICIPANT MAY NOT ALSO BE A FAN OF HIS OR HER TEAM OR ANY OTHER TEAM.
- d. A FAN MAY NOT CREATE MORE THAN ONE ACCOUNT IN SUPPORT OF HIS OR HER TEAM OR ANY OTHER TEAM. Producer reserves the right to eliminate duplicate accounts, but does not warrant or ensure that all duplicate accounts will be discovered and eliminated.
- e. Any partnership, alliance, cartel, or other joint effort to coordinate voting between or among teams applying to play in the Tournament shall be viewed as a violation of these Rules and, in Producer’s sole discretion, may lead to a suspension or permanent rejection of the coordinating teams’ application to play in the Tournament.
- 8. TBT JAMBOREE In addition to the means of qualification described above and elsewhere, beginning at 12:00pm (NOON) (ET) on April 1, 2017, Producer will make available sixteen (16) slots in a pre-qualification tournament (“TBT Jamboree” or “the Jamboree”).
- a. QUALIFICATION FOR TBT JAMBOREE Beginning at 12:00pm (NOON) on April 1, 2017 and ending at 12:00pm (NOON) on June 12, 2017, Producer shall make available sixteen (16) slots in TBT JAMBOREE. The first sixteen (16) Teams who remit a $5,000 entrance fee shall gain entry to the Jamboree. Teams that have qualified for the Jamboree will not have to qualify through the traditional voting process and no minimum number of votes is required. All payments are final and there will be no refunds.
- b. LOCATION AND TIME: The Jamboree will be played at Philadelphia University in Philadelphia, PA on Saturday June 16, 2017 and Sunday June 17, 2017. Game times to be determined by Producer.
- c. JAMBOREE FORMAT The sixteen (16) Teams that have qualified for the Jamboree will compete in a single-elimination format, playing up to two (2) games. The four (4) teams that remain will earn slots in TBT 2017. The four (4) teams that remain will receive their $5,000 entrance fee back.
- d. ROSTERS Teams must be registered on TheTournament.com by 12:00pm (NOON) (ET) on June 12, 2017 to play in TBT Jamboree 2017. Any player who is not registered on the site prior to 6/12/17 will not be permitted to play. Teams may compete with up to 15 players, with Player Registration Fees required for Players beyond the initial nine (9), pursuant to TBT 2017 Rules.
- e. JAMBOREE SEEDING Teams will pick their opponent in the order in which entrance fee is received (e.g. First to pay picks first, second to pay picks second, etc.)
- f. JAMBOREE GAME RULES The same game rules as applicable to the field of 64 shall apply to the Jamboree, with the exception of the end of game, as described immediately below:
- i. JAMBOREE END OF GAME RULES After the first dead ball, timeout, or made basket following the completion of thirty-two (32) minutes of play, the game clock stops and timed play ends. At this juncture, a target score shall be set, equal to the leading team's score plus seven (7). After the target score is set, play shall resume, without a game clock, until one team matches or exceeds the target score.
- 1. Example: Team A leads Team B 80-78 with 4:10 remaining in the game. Team B takes the ball and makes a three (3) point shot to take the lead at 81-80, as the clock ticks down to 3:59 remaining in the game. The game clock is now turned off. The target score is now set to 88. The first team that reaches 88 wins the game.
- g. REGIONAL SELECTION Upon entry into the Jamboree, the teams shall select the region in which they will play (East, West, Northeast, South). Four (4) slots in each of the four (4) regionals will be available. The first teams to complete their Jamboree application and to register shall have first choice of which region they will play in.
VII. COMPETING IN THE TOURNAMENT
- 1. The Teams selected to participate in the Tournament will compete in four (4) regions: Northeast (Philadelphia, PA), South (Charlotte, NC), Midwest (Peoria, IL), West (Las Vegas). When registering his or her Team, a GM must select the region in which his/her Team would like to participate when creating the Team on the Website. The Producer will try to organize the Tournament so that a Team invited to participate in the Tournament will be able to play in the desired region, but Producer cannot guarantee placement in the desired region. TEAMS SHALL NOT BE PERMITTED TO CHANGE THEIR REGIONAL SELECTION AFTER MAY 15, 2017.
- 2. In Philadelphia, PA and Charlotte, NC, the first two rounds of the Tournament will commence on July 8, 2017 and will end on July 9, 2017; in Las Vegas, NV and Peoria, IL, the first two rounds of the Tournament will commence on July 15, 2017 and will end on July 16, 2017 (with regards to each of Las Vegas, Charlotte, Philadelphia and Peoria, such dates are the “Initial Dates”). EACH TEAM IS SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL COSTS AND EXPENSES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, TRAVEL AND ACCOMMODATIONS IN ORDER TO APPEAR AND BE ABLE TO PLAY IN THE TOURNAMENT ON THE INITIAL DATES
- 3. Producer shall determine the time and date that each Team will play during the Initial Dates; following such determination, all times and dates are locked and may not be changed other than by Producer. Each Team will receive a jersey and shorts to wear during the Tournament, and each player on the Team must wear such jersey and shorts and may not wear any other jersey and shorts. During the Initial Dates, each Team will play one to two games per day. Once a Team loses a game it will automatically be eliminated from the Tournament and no longer be eligible to play or to win the Team Prize. A Team will go on to the second round if it wins in the first round, and may thereafter advance in the Tournament only if it wins its game in each successive round. The first two rounds of the Tournament will be played in Charlotte, NC, Philadelphia, PA, Peoria, IL, and Las Vegas, NV during the various Initial Dates.
- 4. The third and fourth rounds of the Tournament will commence on July 20, 2017 and ending on July 23, 2017 (“Super 16 Weekend Dates”). Producer shall determine the time and date that each Team will play during the Super 16 Weekend Dates; following such determination, all times and dates are locked and may not be changed other than by Producer. The four (4) teams that win their games on Sunday, July 23, 2017 will advance to the semifinals of the Tournament.
- 5. The semifinals and the championship game of the Tournament will take place in Baltimore, MD on August 1, 2017 and August 4, 2017 (“Championship Week”). Producer shall determine the time and date that each Team will play during the Championship Week; following such determination, all times and dates are locked and may not be changed other than by Producer.
- 6. The basketball play during the Tournament will be controlled by the rules of play described on the Website. The rules of play will be based on so called “college rules” except that: (i) each game will take a total of thirty-six (36) minutes with each half of play being eighteen (18) minutes in length; (ii) each team will be provided with four (4) time outs in the aggregate per game, but with no more than (3) time outs during the second half of the game; (iii) in each televised game, there will be additional media timeouts in each half; (iv) each player will be permitted to have six (6) fouls in the aggregate per game; (v) a :30 second shot clock will apply to all rounds of the Tournament.
- a. The Producer retains the right to alter, amend, and in any and all respects change the rules for basketball play before and during the Tournament, including but not limited to the game play rules articulated above and others that will be in place in other phases of the Tournament.
- 7. The Producer retains the right to disqualify any Team or Participant at any point in the Tournament for any reason if the Producer believes that the participation of such Team or Participant is or may become harmful to or interfere with the integrity, competition, production and/or telecast of the Tournament, including without limitation to enforce the rules of the Tournament, promote the entertainment value of the event and to maintain the reputation of the Tournament and avoid any impropriety or even the appearance of impropriety.
- 8. If a Team is disqualified from the Tournament, is not present for any game in which it is scheduled to play or if a Team determines that it is unable to compete in the Tournament, the Producer shall have the right to select a replacement Team from among the pool of previously eliminated Teams. If a Team is disqualified from the Tournament during play, all results from its previous victories stand and cannot be challenged or changed. Producer retains the right and authority to replace a disqualified team with another team (including for the championship game).
- 9. Each Participant is prohibited from gambling and from associating with those who gamble in connection with the Tournament. If a Participant is found to be involved with gambling in association or in connection with the Tournament, including having taken any form of consideration, whether directly or indirectly from those who gamble in connection with the Tournament, that Participant shall be disqualified from the Tournament and shall be banned for life from competing in the Tournament in future years. Upon discovery of a Participant's involvement or association with gambling in connection with the Tournament, Producer may notify all appropriate law enforcement authorities, including the Federal Bureau of Investigation, local police departments and all offices of prosecution who retain jurisdiction over the illegal activities.
- 10. If at any time a Participant feels he or she is unable to participate in the Tournament for health or other reasons, Participant may elect to drop out and not continue his/her participation in the Tournament, so long as such Participant gives reasonable advance notice to his/her Team and the Producer. If, at any time, a Participant fails to appear for any game and/or event in connection with the Tournament and the failure to appear is unexcused and unapproved by the Team or the Producer, he/she will be disqualified and he/she shall not be eligible to receive his/her share of the Team Prize. A GM is not required to appear at a game, but he/she must communicate in writing to Producer (or its designee) that he/she will not be attending a game. If a Participant is injured during competition and is unable to continue playing, his or her Team will not be able to replace Participant, but if such Team goes on to win the Team Prize, the injured Participant (other than a Participant on a Charity Team) will have the right to share in such Team Prize, subject to any separate agreement among such Team’s Participants.
- 11. The winning Team may allocate its Prize among each of its registered Participants in whatever manner it has decided to allocate the Team Prize, and the Producer will pay the Team Prize according to such allocation; provided, however, that each Team playing in the championship game is required to memorialize in writing, through the Website, before the championship game how it will allocate the Prize to its Participants if it is the winner. Additional information may also be required as part of such allocation process (e.g., social security numbers, completion of IRS Form W-9, etc.). Participants on the winning Team will also be required to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility and Publicity Release prior to receiving any portion of the Team Prize.
- 12. Any Participant or Team who receives any form of compensation apart from the Team Prize, in exchange for appearing and/or playing in the Tournament, whether such compensation is direct or indirect compensation or in the form of sponsorship or otherwise, must inform Producer of such arrangement. Failure to inform Producer of any outside compensation may result in such Participant's and/or Team’s disqualification from the Tournament.
- 13. Following the end of the Tournament, the winning Team must be available to render press and publicity services as requested by Producer for two (2) weeks.
- 14. Each Participant acknowledges and agrees that, as an applicant to participate in the Tournament he/she will be required as part of entry in the Tournament to execute additional paperwork which may include, without limitation, the Participant Agreement and medical release(s) (including, for a Charity Team, Participation Agreements and medical releases executed by the Charity’s individual Participants), and such other documents as Producer may require from time to time.
- 15. Each Participant further acknowledges that he/she has been provided with a reasonable period of time to review the foregoing Rules, and to ask Producer any and all questions that Participant may have with respect to the Rules, the Tournament, the prizes and any other questions it may have, and by registering on the Website each Participant agrees to all of the foregoing Rules.
- 16. EFFECT OF A TEAM’S FORFEIT. If a Team is selected to compete in the Tournament and does not appear to compete, thereby forfeiting its game, the Producer shall, in its discretion, suspend all members of that Team and prohibit those members from future competitions indefinitely until a penalty of $10,000 is paid by or on behalf of the forfeiting Team.